Sunday, March 13, 2011

District of Colombia, you are vast.

Yeah these are old shoes, that I've been walking in
I'm wearing weary, like it's a second skin
I've been looking for a place to lay my head
All this time like a vagabond, a homeless stranger
I've been wandering, all my life you've been calling me
To a home you know, I've been needing
I'm a broken stone, so lay me in the house you're building.
-Audrey Assad


Here find newcomer infatuations squashed beneath the gritty heel of urban anonymity. Something happened to me, and since it has, a strange disenchantment clings to my every thought about DC. I expected it to pass, as cantankerous moods often do, but this one has stuck to me like bad gum on a shoe.


What happened to disrupt my pleasant complacency? It's a bit of a gut punch to admit, but I'm beginning to tire of the vagabond life.


From the suburbs of sleepy Northern Virginia I went with a full weekend unplanned, and a backpack with limited outfit changes. To find myself in the disjointed sprawling complexity of District of Colombia, I wandered blocks without purpose. Should the marble and brick woo me into the right neighborhood, maybe I'd find a door with my name on it.


This as my motivation, I was more than willing to contend with the two following unknowns: who would join me on this adventure and where I would sleep when it was done. More descriptively than a vagabond, I have also become a mole. A traveling mole with bags. Bags with useful things--but  for  the airtight density in which they are packed.


My purchasing power lessened as my wallet became less easy to render. Imagine dodging an umbrella, a headband, bunchy scarf, bottle of sanitizer, lone makeup brush and cell phone charger before brushing the quilted sides of a grey wallet to pay for a latte. Stoop to pick up the stray leather glove that  leaped on the floor in the frenetic search, and you begin to see.
Every male now nods his head in agreement with the complete uselessness that is a woman's purse. I do not disagree, but challenge one to propose a more functional solution that does not evolve into a fanny pack. My city flats, which so neatly fold in half to be wedged also into the bulging mass of my handbag, remain the only concession I am willing to make of fashion for sensibility.


At times, there is no pride in standing on these two feet of mine, even with great shoes. The loneliness as I wandered, unearthed many undesirable questions in this time of being subjected to my own decisions. There are places to act and others to pause in my life, and no one to tell me which is the other. This street or that street?


 I even sat at the communal table at Le Pain Quotidien in case Yoda, or possibly, a friend were to emerge and offer some advice. Organic jams and morning brioche comforted me instead. To soothe is not always with words. Yes, I've become somewhat of a foodie, and even with an extra pound(ish) to show for it! But my suits still fit....I hope to stumble upon enthusiasm again and will search all the tucked away corners. You'll know it when I find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment